We've heard it a million times: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Starting your day with a high-protein macronutrient-dense breakfast provides numerous benefits, including increased satiety, improved muscle recovery and enhanced energy levels. One effective way to ensure a nutrient-packed meal every morning is through protein breakfast meal prep.
We have some fantastic high-protein meal prep ideas to help kick-start your day.
What Is a High-Protein Diet?
Before diving into these high-protein breakfast meal prep ideas, let's briefly understand what a high-protein diet entails. Following a high-protein diet involves consuming more protein than what is recommended by traditional dietary guidelines.
The typical recommendation for healthy adults is to consume 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight, which is about 54 grams for a 150-pound person. Someone following a high-protein diet would eat more than 54 grams of protein every day.
Following a high-protein diet can be beneficial for individuals trying to lose weight, as well as those looking to gain muscle. Whether you want to create breakfast meal preps for muscle gain or weight loss, you'll want to focus on consuming protein-rich foods.
Foods to Get Protein From
Here are some protein powerhouses that you can incorporate into your high-protein breakfast meal prep:
- Soy protein: Soybeans and soy products like tofu are exceptional plant-based protein sources. Soy also provides essential amino acids and many health benefits, including heart health and hormone balance.
- Beans: Beans are rich in fiber and provide a significant helping of protein — one ½-cup serving offers around 7 grams of protein and lots of vitamins and minerals. They are versatile ingredients that enhance salads, soups and even hummus.
- Nuts: Almonds, walnuts, peanuts and other nuts are a great source of healthy fats and also contain protein. You can incorporate them into your breakfast by adding them to smoothies or sprinkling them over yogurt or oatmeal.
- Fish: Fish like salmon and tuna are high in protein and rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Including fish in your breakfast meal prep can provide a tasty and nourishing boost.
- Lean chicken and beef: Skinless chicken breast and lean cuts of beef, such as sirloin or tenderloin, are excellent sources of high-quality protein.
- Pork: Lean cuts of pork, such as tenderloin, provide a substantial amount of protein while still being salty and flavorful. When choosing pork, opt for slim cuts and trim any visible fat before cooking to keep it lean and protein-focused.
- Low-fat dairy: Dairy products like Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and low-fat milk are protein-rich and provide crucial vitamins and minerals like calcium. Enjoy yours independently or as a smoothie base, or you can try incorporating them into protein pancakes or chia pudding recipes.
There are many other protein sources, such as eggs, quinoa, lentils and protein powder. Integrating various protein-rich foods into your high-protein breakfast meal prep allows you to enjoy a nutrient-dense start to your day.
Beginner Tips for High-Protein Meal Prep
Meal prepping ensures you have healthy meals readily available. Here are a few tips to help you get started with high-protein breakfast meal prep:
- Gather the essentials: Invest in quality containers to store your prepared meals. Stock your kitchen with cooking tools like measuring cups, a blender and a food processor for efficient meal preparation.
- Choose batch-friendly recipes: Go for quick and easy recipes you can prepare in large quantities and store for several days without compromising flavor or consistency.
- Plan: Designate a specific day each week for meal prepping. Make a thorough shopping list and prepare your recipes to ensure you have the necessary ingredients. Remember to add your snacks for the week!
- Experiment with protein substitutes: Be open-minded about plant-based protein sources. Experiment with vegetarian alternatives like tofu and explore other plant-based proteins such as quinoa. Diversifying protein sources adds assortment and nutritional value to your meals.
5 High-Protein Breakfast Meal Prep IdeasThese easy high-protein breakfast recipes can help you introduce more protein to your diet:
1. Vanilla Chia Pudding
Vanilla chia pudding is a nutritional powerhouse combining chia seeds and protein-rich milk. This winning combination takes 10 minutes to prepare.
To make four servings to enjoy throughout the week, stir together 1 cup of almond milk, 1 cup of plain low-fat Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of maple syrup, 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Add ¼ cup of chia seeds and whisk together. Let the mixture sit for 30 minutes, then stir once more. Cover the pudding and place it in the fridge overnight.
In the morning, you can top your serving with berries, maple syrup, honey or nuts for an extra boost of protein. You can also try out different milk varieties each week. If you want even more protein in the morning, pair your meal with a protein shake — or experiment with adding protein powder to your pudding.
2. Gluten-Free Peanut Butter Protein Pancakes
These velvety sensations provide a powerful protein punch to satisfy your cravings. Peanut butter contributes healthy fats and extra protein, making these pancakes a winning choice for breakfast.
Whisk 8 egg whites with 3 tablespoons of peanut butter. Add ½ cup of protein powder, 1 ½ cups of almond flour, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 1 ½ cups of almond milk. After that, all that's left to do is heat a large skillet, melt some butter on the pan and start making your pancakes!
The best part? You can freeze these pancakes to use throughout the week. Keep things interesting by using different toppings with each serving. This recipe makes six servings.
3. Egg Muffin Frittatas
Egg muffin frittatas are savory, delicious and protein-packed. First, spray a muffin tray with oil. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, salt and pepper. Then, it's time to get creative. You can add feta cheese, bell peppers, tomatoes, olives, shredded cheese or bacon bits to make this recipe entirely your own.
Pour your eggs equally into the muffin tray, and bake for around 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Allow the egg muffins to cool before storing them in a container in the fridge or freezer. They stay fresh for three to four days in the fridge and up to three months in the freezer.
You can eat one muffin each morning alongside a Greek yogurt parfait or double the recipe and eat two muffins each day.
4. High-Protein Tofu Burritos
This high-protein recipe showcases the versatility of tofu and stays fresh in the freezer for up to a month. Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop potatoes and red bell peppers, place them on a baking sheet, drizzle with oil and spices, and toss to combine. Bake until tender and slightly browned, adding kale for the last few minutes if desired.
Pan-fry garlic and tofu until slightly brown. Mix hummus, spices and water in a bowl to make a sensational sauce. Add the sauce to the tofu and cook until browned. Add all the ingredients to your tortilla shells, along with any toppings you desire. Roll them up and store your burritos for the week.
5. Healthy High-Protein, Low-Carb Breakfast Casserole
For a delicious breakfast casserole recipe, all you need to do is combine 10 large eggs with 1 cup of milk and your favorite vegetables, meats, cheeses and seasonings. You might try onion, bacon bits, feta cheese, garlic, broccoli, asparagus, bell pepper, shredded cheddar cheese, parsley, tomatoes or olives.
Combine the ingredients in a large bowl. Add cubed pieces of sourdough bread to the bottom of a greased baking dish, and pour the egg mixture over the top. Refrigerate overnight and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 50 minutes. Let it cool before dividing the servings and storing the meal.
High-Protein Breakfasts Made Even Easier With Fresh Meal Plan
Meal prepping is the pinnacle of efficiency, but it takes time and effort to create a menu for the entire week. Fresh Meal Plan offers a convenient option if you're looking for a hassle-free solution. Have your meals ready in three minutes or less with our protein-packed breakfasts!