Featured Post /
Eat More to Lose Weight (Yes, we're serious!)
People come in all shapes and sizes and “healthy” can look different for different people. For some people, weight loss can help them feel better. Weight loss can be achieved with physical activity, and by choosing foods that support good nutrition. Nutrient-dense foods are foods that are rich in vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber. These foods may be low or high in calories. If weight loss is part of your health journey there are certain foods that may support your weight loss journey.
Many people think that in order to lose weight, you must eat very little but that’s not the case! In fact, opposite to decreasing calories for weight loss, which can tell the body to slow the metabolism because it’s going into starvation mode, some people may want to try increasing calories to lose weight. Now, that doesn’t mean increasing calories with cakes, cookies, and chips. There are certain foods to eat more to lose weight.
Choosing nutrient-dense foods can help you stay feeling fueled and help you stay feeling fuller longer- which means less empty, mindless, or emotional snacking. Here is our list of best nutrient-dense foods to enjoy while on a weight loss journey:
- Eggs & Nuts - Eggs and nuts are packed with protein and healthy fats. Protein will help as you build more muscle.
- Fats - For many years, people believed fat needed to be avoided for weight loss success. However, you can eat more fat to lose weight, in moderation. Fats should be unsaturated, like the fat found in olive oil.
- Lean protein - Protein foods, like chicken and salmon, are low in saturated fats and rich in protein. Protein foods help maintain and build muscle. Pair protein foods with vegetables, especially non-starchy vegetables to keep you feeling fuller, for longer.
- Leafy Greens - Kale, chard, mustard greens, lettuces, and other leafy greens are all nutrient-dense and low calories choices for weight loss. The fiber in greens helps you stay feeling full.
You won’t need to wonder to yourself, why do I lose weight when I eat more filling, high protein, high fiber foods. The protein from eggs, nuts, chicken, and salmon, and the fiber from vegetables, and fruits make a perfect plate for personal health. This Honey Mustard Pretzel Chicken is a great plate when you’re short on time but still want big flavor.
- Whole fruit - Apples, bananas, and citrus fruits are all great choices that help you tame a sweet tooth while not derailing your weight loss journey. Apples with peel and other fruits are rich with fiber. Looking for some savory citrus? Try this tasty Citrus Grilled Quinoa Bowl.
- Beans - Beans are a vegetarian protein, which makes them also rich in fiber. Beans are a great addition to soups, dips, and mixed dishes. They help you stay feeling fuller longer.
- Whole Grains - Whole grains are a great way to eat more carbs to lose weight. Whole grains have more fiber and nutrients than refined grains. They help you stay feeling fuller longer and can help support a healthy gut.
Carbohydrates provide energy to our bodies. Foods like potatoes, sweet potatoes, and other root vegetables are also good choices for carbs that are nutrient-dense and can help you stay on track with your weight loss journey.
If you are on a weight loss journey you may be trying to figure out how to eat more to lose weight. Rather than starving yourself, you can now answer the question “Should I eat more to lose weight”? Yes! Choosing more nutrient-dense foods can help your body get the nutrients it needs while fueling you throughout workouts, work, and whatever comes your way during the day.
When you’re on a health journey that includes weight loss, you may be spending more time thinking about food and meal prepping than ever before. Leave the meal prep to Fresh Meal Plan. Fresh Meal plans make meal planning easy. With options for any diet or lifestyle, Fresh Meal Plan can deliver meals that are healthy and ready for you to enjoy, after a workout or whenever you need them.